Something magical happens when we dare to get real and speak the truth about money. In this intimate conversation series, Money Memoirs, I chat with people from all walks of life about their money journeys: the good, the tough, the soulful, and the nitty-gritty. We share this beloved series every year to celebrate the opening of The Art of Money, which you can read all about here. Curl up with a cuppa as we pull back the curtain … and get ready to get inspired.
We are now open for registration to my year-long, global money school: The Art of Money 2020. YESSS!
More on that in a jiff.
But first I want to celebrate our doors opening with our beloved Money Memoir interview series!
Today I’m so excited to introduce you to Monique Malcolm.
For those who haven’t met her yet, you’re in for a treat, and I’m so happy to connect you with this beautiful soul.
Monique is a serial entrepreneur, speaker, business coach for creatives at Pimp Your Brilliance, and creator of The Visionary Journal — a day planner with vision.
I know many of you are grappling with the key themes Monique and I discussed during today’s fresh Money Memoir.
In it, we have an honest conversation about motherhood, “fixing” money mistakes, breaking through money ceilings as an entrepreneur, and so much more!
As you’ll learn in the Podcast, Monique has followed in her family footsteps to run her own businesses, and carve her own path through life.
Beyond that, she is a married mother of one teenage boy…
…so we connect over our children’s college plans, and our thoughts on encouraging our kids to work through college and assume some financial responsibility (or not!).
Listen in to hear our individual takes on this topic!
Over an hour of open-hearted conversation, we delve into:
- How growing up as the eldest in a family of eight kids shaped Monique’s approach to life — including how she shows up for herself, her siblings (and the importance of boundaries)…
- Monique’s first recognition of “money” as a child (including the first time she was given a food-stamp to buy sweet treats) — with one side of her family being from a lower-income background, and the other being middle-class.
- The closeness that came from having “not much money” on one side of her family — and the appreciation for beautiful dresses that came “having money” on the other.
- How she surfed the Etsy wave to create her own hand-made t-shirt business; then grew from there.
- How entrepreneurship opened her eyes to her earning potential and the possibility there was to make amazing money…NOT going to School. (Plus, whether she would go College and Major in Business Management again if given a “do-over”.)
- Different ways to break through money ceilings as an entrepreneur. (Hint: I love hard work…but it doesn’t always have to BE hard work!)
- How Monique found herself in $35k worth of debt + how she paid off over $21k (!) in just 6 months.
- The EXACT moment she knew something had to change, the tools she used to organize her money, and the mindset shifts that had to happen. (Valuable for everyone — whether you deal with debt or not.)
I just want to thank Monique for being willing to “go there” and open up this conversation about debt — just as Randi Buckley did before her during this 2020 season of Money Memoirs.
As you’ll hear me say in the audio, it’s so important to look back at and honor the source of your debt, so you can understand HOW you got to where you are, and make changes.
Oh, and it’s equally important to not guilt-trip yourself, and to move forward with grace — because life happens, and we’re all human.
Click the play button, cozy up with a cuppa, nestle into the couch, and listen in.
Monique Malcolm is a serial entrepreneur, speaker and creative coach who is obsessed with bringing ideas to life. She’s the founder of Keep Chasing the Stars – an eCommerce shop that sells her popular planner the Visionary Journal, as well as, Pimp Your Brilliance a podcast and learning community for side hustlers and solopreneurs. She loves developing tools and resources for creative people who have amazing ideas but struggle to make them happen.
Monique is on a mission to empower people to stop letting fear have all the fun and to start boldly going after the things they desire in life. When she’s not wearing the many hats that being a creative entrepreneur demands, you can find her soaking up the Florida sun on a sandy beach with her husband and rude teenage son.
P.S. What’s a Money Memoir? In this interview mini-series, I talk to folks from all different backgrounds and walks of life — and ask them to share real stories about money. The good, the hard, and the triumphant. Because we ALL have money wisdom and gems to share. And sometimes, just hearing someone open up lets our own healing begin. As is tradition around Art of Money headquarters, each year we publish a new series of Money Memoirs to give you a taste of the kinds of things we help people within inside my flagship program:
P.S. Ready to go deeper with your relationship to money? Get the practical tools and holistic framework you need to guide your money journey — with the Art of Money on demand!
That means when you sign up, you get instant access to your first of 12 monthly modules to begin your year-long Art of Money cycle. Each module is full of practical teachings, inspiring exercises, and fantastic guest teacher interviews. Our private forum connects you with a global community led by alumni guides to provide ongoing love, wisdom and support along the way. Join monthly group coaching calls with Bari and accountability groups to keep you on track and engaged, and weekly love notes infuse your journey with gentle encouragement.
YES, you can bring a friend, too (and get a discount). Grab your adventure buddy and begin your money healing journey with the Art of Money today!
Love this? Want more? These are the kinds of inspiring, practical and healing money conversations we have in my year-long money school, The Art of Money — now entering its 8th year (whoa!).
We begin The Art of Money just once a year
… and doors are now open!
If you’re inspired to bring more strength and joy into your relationship with money this year, there’s so much support here for you!
This year-long experience, which begins February 1st, includes:
- My whole, 3-phase methodology
- Mentoring from me in monthly group coaching calls
- Incredible Guest Teachers, TA’s, and a global community cheering you on
- Weekly Love emails to walk you through every baby step
- My entire resource library of interviews, worksheets, and so much more.